This is the 1st of 2 episodes with Jennifer Summerfeldt - Perinatal Therapist and CEO of ASK Therapy, former doula and childbirth educator, and transformational coach. She shares her DEEP insight, compassion, and wisdom regarding the challenges and opportunities that come with childbirth and the postpartum space in our...
This is the 1st of 2 episodes with Jennifer Summerfeldt - Perinatal Therapist and CEO of ASK Therapy, former doula and childbirth educator, and transformational coach. She shares her DEEP insight, compassion, and wisdom regarding the challenges and opportunities that come with childbirth and the postpartum space in our culture today. In this 1st half of our conversation about perinatal mental health we discuss:
- The importance of understanding the power of the childbirth experience in shaping the trajectory of postpartum integration
- Postpartum mood disorders are not simply "caught", like a virus, but instead can grow out of a rich complex of external factors and internal processes
- Ounces of prevention heading into and through childbirth are powerful preventative measures for getting ahead of postpartum challenges
- But beyond just support on the front end is the necessity of informed support for processing, metabolizing, and integrating all aspects of the Birth Story on the back end.
- Postpartum Thriving isn't just about healing the body, but is about growth and transformation of the full being into Motherhood
- The R's of Resources, Reflection, and Regulation for riding the waves of existential challenges
- Co-regulation vs Self-soothing in the face of survival stress and disregulation
- and so much more!
Quick links to Jennifer Summerfeldt's full range of offerings:
Main page: https://www.jennifersummerfeldt.com
Her books: https://www.jennifersummerfeldt.com/shop
Ask Therapy: https://www.therapyformoms.ca
Blog post on Postpartum Thriving: https://therapyformoms.substack.com/p/perinatal-mental-health-through-a
To learn more about Katie's FREE weekly Zoom Postpartum Support Group - Thursday's at 1pm PST, and David's FREE monthly Zoom Dad support group - last Thursday of the month at 6pm PST check us out here: https://www.thenestfamilyresource.com/parenting
Like what we have to say? Subscribe to the channel, like this show, and come see us over at the Nest and Welcome To Fatherhood!
For more information on Katie DaMota and Nest Family Resource please visit:
For more information on David Arrell, his book Welcome To Fatherhood, and his other coaching and consulting offerings please visit:
Podcast music credit for The Road Ahead:
Music from Uppbeat (free for Creators!):
License code: YQSX0VF4MX6S3N8K
Photo credit: Jennifer Summerfeldt